Jim Ely, HNTB Chair Toll
As HNTB chair toll services, Jim Ely has overall responsibility for the growth and daily management of firm’s toll practice. He helps develop and implement innovative programs with transportation leaders at the federal, state and local levels.
Ely served as the former executive director of Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise, where he oversaw the third-largest turnpike system in the nation. Under his leadership, 143 miles of new turnpike segments were built or acquired while traffic increased fivefold to more than two million people per day. Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise also has become one of the highest bond-rated turnpikes in the nation.
Ely is a past president of the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association. He also served on the board of the Transportation and Expressway Authority Members of Florida, also known as TEAMFL, and the executive board of the Florida Department of Transportation.
Calling upon industry experience that spans four decades, Ely works with departments of transportation considering tolling programs and with toll agencies as they transform their operations using private-sector methods to achieve public-sector missions.
* Doctorate in Public Administration, Nova University Center for the Study of Administration
* Masters in Education, Georgia State University
* Masters of Business Administration, University of West Florida
* Bachelors of Science in Business Administration/Marketing, University of West Florida
* Harvard University Kennedy School of Government — Represented the Florida Department of Transportation. Senior Level Leadership Program for government executives from around the world
* AASHTO Graduate Leadership and Management Institute — Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs. Sponsored by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.
* The Highway and Transportation Management Institute — Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs. Sponsored by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials in cooperation with the Highway Users Federation for Safety and Mobility.
* Transportation Executive Institute — University of Virginia
* Member and past president — International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association
* Founding member — Transportation and Expressway Members of Florida
* Member — National Advisory Board of the Women’s Transportation Seminar
Awards and recognition:
* Lecturer on Leadership, International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association Leadership Academy — Washington, D.C., 2008-2010
* 2007 CUTR Transportation Achievement Award (Person of the Year in Transportation) — University of South Florida Center for Urban Transportation Research, 2007
* Distinguished Alumnus, National Alumni Association — University of West Florida, 2007
* One of the 174 “Most Influential Floridians” — Florida Trend magazine, 2004
* Public Service Award — American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, 2004
* Ben G. Watts Award — Florida Department of Transportation, 1999
* Jay W. Brown Award — Florida Department of Transportation, 1995